Fremont Raceway (1959-1988) was known for many things. Located in the bayside marshlands 30 miles Southeast of San Francisco it featured the best “bite” and “air” of any quarter mile in the United States. The land was owned by Southern Pacific Railroad who doled out property leases to a long list of promoters including local car clubs, Steve Evans and Bill Doner, Jack Williams, and Terry Kniss who renamed it “Baylands Raceway” In the 1980s.
Fuel Curve freelancer Dave Kommel, who spent 40 years on the professional drag racing circuit was kind enough to share his classic Fremont images.
Do yourself a favor and click here to see these rare photographs!